LOVE IS NOT ENOUGH: CHOOSE A TEAMMATE, NOT JUST A LOVER

 By Abubakar Basiru


I define relationships in many ways, but above all, I see them as the mutual exchange of value.

Before entering any relationship, I believe it's important to pause and ask a few honest questions:

What value are we adding to each other's lives? What am I bringing to the table? What is the other person bringing? Are we simply boyfriend and girlfriend, or are we partners? Are we teammates?

The answers to these questions often reveal the true nature of the relationship.

To me, a partner or teammate is someone who intentionally adds value to your life. They celebrate your victories, stand by you through difficulties, challenge you to become better, and work with you toward shared goals. They don't disappear when life becomes difficult; they stay, build, sacrifice, and grow with you. They are committed not just to your happiness, but also to your purpose, progress, and success.

A boyfriend or girlfriend who contributes nothing beyond saying "I love you" may offer affection, but love without growth, support, trust, and shared purpose is incomplete. Loving words are beautiful, but they should be accompanied by meaningful actions that enrich each other's lives.

If you have found someone who is truly your partner and teammate, congratulations—you have something precious.

But if your relationship is built only on romance without mutual growth, support, or value, perhaps it's time to go back to the drawing board and redefine what you're building together.

After all, the strongest relationships are not sustained merely by emotions; they are sustained by commitment, purpose, sacrifice, and the continuous effort to make each other better.

And just to be clear—I mean a partner in life, not a partner in crime!

ABU Campus Press

The mission of the Club is to protect the interest of Ahmadu Bello University by promoting the importance of campus journalism, serve as an avenue for prospective journalist to practice journalism, protect the interests of members and those of the public and always hold on to intellectualism as the core idea of studentship through professional journalistic practice.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post