It Is Better To Be Known By Name Than To Be Known By Picture - NASELS President

By Aliyu Baba Mohammed, Ayoola Yaseerah And Abdul-Ganiyu Hanafi


Life, they said, is not a bed of roses, especially for those who are locked out of luck zones. They struggle in every facet of life to achieve what others achieved on a platter of gold. Such is the case of Solomon Tengu Micah, the current President of the National Association of Students of English and Literary Studies (NASELS) and class representative of 400L, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.

Solomon, a native of Nigeria based in Lagos was recently engaged in an exclusive interview with Ahmadu Bello University Campus Press (ACP) where he shared/discussed his journey to Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, and the phenomena/events that crowned him the President of NASELS.

Part of the narration of his personal life, Solomon said that unlike many other Nigerian students who fought JAMB once and won, he was in the battlefield with JAMB for a good seven years. Many battles he said he won but the system of education in the country and the policies that come with ABU admission processes like catchment areas denied him the victory on time. He said most of his secondary school friends graduated while he was still battling to gain admission. And at a point, he felt like ending it all by taking his own life and attempted suicide three times. However, it is always said that there is light at the end of the tunnel; as God later intervened in his predicament through the support of his family and friends.



Here is how our interview/engagement went down with Solomon.

ACP: Can we meet you?

Solomon: My name is Solomon Tengu Micah, class rep 400L and privileged President of the English and Literary Studies Department, Ahmadu Bello University.

ACP: how do you become the president of your department?

Solomon: Well, this can be traced back to my 100L days. Even though I never thought I would be so involved in the school politics. My intention was just to come and silently get this degree and leave. But something happened during our first lecture in GENS101 when the lecturer taking the course (then) asked who was the class rep and the class told him nobody yet. I put on my headphones and I noticed the man through it, and pointed at me to stand-up. I wasn't even sitting in the front and I was not dressed ostentatiously, but the headphone caught the man's attention. The man called me, gave me the course outline and asked me to give the class, so, everybody started calling me class rep from that day. Even though I wasn't interested at first, my familiarity with the ABU environment since I've been applying to the school for a long time made me stand out among others. Even when it was time to elect the class, three people developed interest and one (Daniel) stepped down for me, except Ibrahim Kurami. We went to the polls, and I'd 47 votes, while he'd 12 votes. The fact is that I love serving people and my classmates were already enjoying my services before the election. You know there's this Nigerian parlance that used to say “you love carrying work for your head,” that's exactly what I do. I love to be dedicated to what I do. Even if I'm approaching a girl, I do it with full energy and dedication. In fact, I was nominated for the best class rep award right from 100L together with my seniors. I relate so much with the lecturers and my seniors as if I wasn't a fresher. I was very popular, because I was doing my job. I don't take those with carryover for granted or joke. In fact, I pay more attention to them than my coursemates because they are passing through a lot. Through my commitments, I was called to contest for P.R.O of NASELS in 100L, Vice President in 200L and President in 300L. I wasn't having intention for all of this but people kept pushing me for it. They saw my election as a time to pay me back. Basically, I lead my class based on the assertion of Buhari who said “I belong to everybody and I belong to nobody.” I don't have religion or ethnicity in my style of leadership. This is the reason I became the leader of ABU Class Reps Forum. I initiated and created that platform in 2020. So, my journey of leadership, including that of NASELS was seamlessly the genesis of commitments to services of students affairs.

ACP: What have you done or achieved that represented the interest of the students in your department as the President of NASELS?

Solomon: As a president of my department, there's this tradition that you must do an exercise book, organize dinner and give awards to those who deserve and those who don't just because of school politics. Then you would do NASELS week and then, you handover; that's the tradition. But I reasoned it: what are we going to do differently; away from ordinary tradition making exercise books? I said we're an English department, we should be doing something that other departments should emulate. We now thought of Spelling Bee Competition, Debate Competition, organizing Black History Month, which is mostly organized in February, and NABAFEST-NASELS Black Art Festival. We started collaborating with the Creative Writers Club, Fine Art Department for their Paintings and Poetry and industrial design. We also came up with Magazine Production. Just like KABAFEST, NABAFEST is going to be an annual event and we've started it this year, where we celebrate black consciousness. We're the pioneers of this event. To God be the glory, we got sponsorship from Banks and Individuals. The whole thing was fantastic and became a big deal for the department. We'd Bello Ayatu, the former special assistant to the Kaduna State Governor, Professors, like ABU DVC Academics, Prof. Raymond Bako and more than 300 students in attendance at the Assembly Hall. The hall was so full that many people had no seat to sit.

 We have also hosted the International Conference for English and Literary Studies students, Northwest Zone (there's a national body). So, all the students studying English language usually meet annually. It has been held in UniLag, Uni Abuja and the rest. But for the first time, we pushed for ABU to host this year's edition and it was a massive success. We hosted our dear colleagues across the Northwest zone of the country.

We also held a movie night, where we displayed movies like “emancipation.” We're now making our departmental association more relevant than even the faculty association. We'll be publishing our Magazine in August, which mainly covered NABAFEST activities, we've our publisher in place already. We're in talks with Hon. Chukwu Merije and many others. I'm looking at inviting the likes of Wole Soyinka to NABAFEST event in the next ten years to come. And that time, I can confidently beat my chest thatI happened to be the pioneer or the first NASELS president that organized the event.

Another project on our table now is the reformation of our departmental library. We want to create a e-learning section since there are computers in the library. We will put those computers into good shape and make them function optimally. Then solar power system and departmental garden. All these we are doing, we're not relying on the students’ dues; that won't take us anywhere in financing the projects. We reach out to the influential people, especially our alumni to help in carrying out the projects. And you can't reach out to them when you don't have any projects executed or plans to execute any. English Department is the most influential department in the faculty of Arts; we've the highest population of about 800+ students. So, it's compulsory we lead while others follow, but not by talking alone but matching with action.

ACP: How have you been managing the religious and cultural diversity in the department?

Solomon: As have said earlier, I have no religion or culture when it comes to my leadership style; I work for all and sundry. In fact, my Chief of Staff is a Muslim, my leadership zone is a palace for all. I do follow many Muslims to the mosque frequently. I've been to major mosques in ABU, and some Christians feel Solomon doesn't have a religion. But look, if we've leaders at the national level that promote religious and cultural tolerance, Nigeria would be a better place for all. I can confidently tell you that the majority of people that voted for were Muslims; against my opponent who is/was a Muslim from Katsina. So, in my appointments, I make sure that I balance religion and tribal cards for a smooth running of my administration. For me, it is not necessarily about religion, tribe or opponent but competence. If you can do it, I would gladly work with you. I know we have the Hausa-Yoruba Caucus in the department, but I am working hard to harmonize them and eliminate that religious and ethnicity mentality.

ACP: The students are facing a lot. How do you help your students who are possibly facing psychological trauma or depression for one reason or the other?

Solomon: Hummn…. I remembered in 2017, one of our students committed suicide. His name was Tobi; I can't remember the full name but Tobi took his own life. And when we checked the note he left, he said “My Department Is Making Me Look Dull.” You know there is a way you would write an exam and you would be expecting an ‘A’ but end up seeing ‘B’ ‘C’ or one heavy ‘D;’ that was the case of Tobi. There are other students that are facing other issues like finances, family crisis, breakups, among others. So, for mental health, we are going to organize a programme on how the students can manage their life challenges. This is one of the reasons that we didn't increase the students’ dues; not to add to their burden. I received complaints of students that couldn't pay their school fees as a result of the increment. About eight (8) of my students reach out to me about their school. So, what I did with the little experience I have with SRC was to reach out to a friend, Amina. Even though she has graduated and is currently doing her MSc, the influence of the union is still there. So, she promised me that she would talk to people and she did. To cut it short, we were able to raise N113,000 to assist my students in paying their school fees. We didn't just handover the money to them; no. We called the Senate, opened their portal and saw the balances they were having to pay. We saw some were N15,000, N20,000, among others, and we were able to help. So, to this effect, I want to review our constitution in such a way that every succeeding administration will be dedicating a certain amount of money to help the students who are genuinely in need of financial assistance. Every departmental or faculty association can apply this tactic; as there are well to do alumni individuals in every department/faculty of this university. All you need to do is to seek their assistance with honesty and sincerity. As the head of the students' association, it is a responsibility upon us to use our influence and find ways to assist our students, and not necessarily using the Association's Funds/dues; seek for special interventions.

In fact, some of my students have skills like barbing, plaiting hair and others. I connected them with our lecturers and staff. So, they go to their houses to barb some male lecturers and plait for the female lecturers, and they earn from it no matter how little. They won't necessarily be begging for N50/N100 to buy Sugar or Kuli-Kuli to drink Gari. You and I know how much even Gari that was formerly student friendly is sold today. In addition, some lecturers assist voluntarily if you meet them, or they would connect you with someone that would help graciously. So, I don't take the welfare of my students for granted, because they are the association and we are piloting its affairs for their well-being.

As President, I don't do this Kaftan-Comrade or Capacity of a thing. You even hardly see me with a fancy cloth, because it is better to be known by name than to be known by picture. I am a bridge between my students and the management, so, my major concern is always to be strong and smooth for my students to pass through in sorting out their problems. Even though I have Excos, however, some of them used to frustrate the efforts one is making by not playing their roles effectively. Therefore, I always stand to do extra work for others who tend to create lapses, and that also has a toll on my own psychological well-being.

Notwithstanding, for my students to vote for me and having a voting merging of 189 votes for the first time in the history of NASELS, worth the whole of energy I am giving out. After all, I believe in talking and doing. So, I also need that mental health programme, and we are going to invite you guys (ABU Campus Press) to cover the event in order to circulate the message. Thank You.

ACP: What legacy would you like to leave behind?

Solomon: Well, NASELS Black Art Festival (NABAFEST) is already a legacy. I have said that I initiated it this year and it was a huge success. In fact, students are already looking forward to next year's edition, which should have more improvement. I want to do things that are extraordinary, not ordinary NASELS activities and I am definitely working so hard to achieve or execute my plans. Plans are on to have a photocopying shop for the department. There are departments that have provision stores, but we can start from this; it'll also generate income. Focal Journal is also underway for revival. I want to be known as somebody that is different, I don't want to do regular or traditional things of the association.

As I pointed out earlier, I don't want to be the President that the students would hold my face, I want to be the President that the students would hold my name. There is a difference between the two. The first one is Fake, while the second one is Genuine. So, I only want to be hearing “Solomon'' and not that photo thing. And already, I'm receiving Commendation even from my lecturers; that Solomon, you are doing exceptionally well. This is because of the exceptional programmes I have created. It is my belief that every leader can do his/her best in fulfilling their mandate to the people that entrust their confidence in them. And what is making one a different leader is not doing what others are doing but doing something different and that's what I'm opting to do.

Thank You.

Post a Comment

0 Comments