CELEBRATING MY VICTORY AS A CAMPUS JOURNALIST




By Ahmadu Hafsat Rogo

My friends and I have made it this far in the journey of our lives. It hasn't been a hitch-free ride, but it has been a worthwhile one. We haven't achieved this by our efforts alone, but by divine grace and mentorship support from our parents and teachers, for all your efforts and labor of love over us, I say a big thank you. I will also like to thank all the members of ABU Campus Press without whom this journey wouldn't have been possible.

I stand out here today as a campus journalist wearing the shawls and scarves of all our mothers and sisters who have paved the way for me to get here. I am propelled by the words of Zainab Alkali that says “Enrolling a girl in school gives her the opportunity to get an education, this opportunity can only be fully utilized when she is given the emotional support, resources, confidence, and most importantly the time to succeed”. 

I am also inspired by the courage of Malala Yosuffai, the youngest Nobel Prize laureate, so also guided by the words of Flora Nwapa with courage given by the words of Michelle Obama and the selfless sacrifice of Dr. Stella Adadevoh for the sick under her care.

Converted with these noble robes, I celebrate my victory as a campus journalist not just for me, but also for the struggle that has given me this opportunity.
I leave you today with the words of Michelle Obama that say "Let girls learn", this doesn't mean merely ensuring that girls go to school. It also means offering support in every way, believing that they have all it takes to excel.

Thank you ABU Campus Press.


Post a Comment

0 Comments